[SOLVED] sheepdog storage only available on some pve nodes

Aug 30, 2009
London, UK
i have a 5 node cluster (not HA yet) thats slowly growing

i've been looking at shared storage without requiring SAN's and am all but settled on sheepdog as an option

2 of my servers are not really adequate for running sheepdog so i want to avoid installing on those nodes and not allow booting of sheepdog based VM's on those servers or creation for that matter

because i currently have to add sheepdog storage direct into /etc/pve/storage.cfg - how do I only allow it to be available on specific nodes as you can do in the GUI when adding normal storage?

initially i'm wanting to do some real world tests with a proper cluster (i don't have enough test devices in the lab) so true HA isn't critical at this stage as i wont be testing failover aspects, just performance and reliability

Last edited:
Re: sheepdog storage only available on some pve nodes

i have a 5 node cluster (not HA yet) thats slowly growing

i've been looking at shared storage without requiring SAN's and am all but settled on sheepdog as an option

2 of my servers are not really adequate for running sheepdog so i want to avoid installing on those nodes and not allow booting of sheepdog based VM's on those servers or creation for that matter

because i currently have to add sheepdog storage direct into /etc/pve/storage.cfg - how do I only allow it to be available on specific nodes as you can do in the GUI when adding normal storage?

initially i'm wanting to do some real world tests with a proper cluster (i don't have enough test devices in the lab) so true HA isn't critical at this stage as i wont be testing failover aspects, just performance and reliability

like for others storage, you can add option:
Code:
sheepdog: sheepdogstorage
               nodes server1,server2,server3...

Re: sheepdog storage only available on some pve nodes

perfect thanks

i can live migrate with it nicely :)

only thing to note is that i couldnt migrate storage to it without first turning the VM off - i got the following error if i tried with the node online:

Code:
TASK ERROR: storage migration failed: mirroring error: VM 108 qmp command 'block-job-complete' failed - The active block job for device 'drive-virtio0' cannot be completed

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!