[SOLVED] Proxmox VE - IPv6 Problems

Re: Proxmox VE - IPv6 Problems

Have here installed fresh proxmox, without any updates 3.4! IPV6 works after server boot. But after some minutes, IPV6 does not work anymore, not on host and not on guest. Kernel 3.10 is not an option, because i use openvz too.

Thanks!

Have here installed fresh proxmox, without any updates 3.4! IPV6 works after server boot. But after some minutes, IPV6 does not work anymore, not on host and not on guest. Kernel 3.10 is not an option, because i use openvz too.

Thanks!

That's exact the same problem I had all the time. Are you using veth in your OpenVZ containers?
Try to install that kernel from post #10. There is also a 2.6.32-37 version. I think we found a solution for this :)

That would be great.

I have now tested it with 3.10.0-7 and IPv6 problems seems to be gone. I was able to ping each other VM on every address over the bridge and also outside. The NDP packets are switched now.

Regards,
Anton

Last edited:

Yes, the patched kernel works, but have some problem with avahi... i don't know... but maybe the problem is the system is installed on an USBstick and the storage is over NFS. Waiting for the harddrives and SSDs, then i will check it again.

Thanks!

Ok, i want wait ;) , so i connected an SATA Enterprisedisk directly on SATA Port. IPV6 does not really work correctly because: We use here avahi for everything. It takes some minutes to work. For example: I start ein VM (KVM). The VM starts and get IP adresses, IPV4 and IPV6. But IPV6 need time... i can't ping the serverhostname, but noththing is working, but after about 5 minutes server is reachable. Strange. It is not really big problem, but it is not normaly. The same is when i set the avahi-browse Command. For the first time the server has booted i use the command, the server see only own services, after some minutes uptime the server see all services in the network...

Regards

Well, I got my first VPS online via IPv6 now, but with a very uncomfortable way...
Maybe someone want to use this also to fix the probleme.

First I edited my /etc/network/interfaces file on the host:
1. Add this line: "iface lo inet6 loopback" (I have read in some forums that this should do the trick with the NDP problem. It accually doesn't help me ony my case but you should try it - maybe it will work for you...)

A HUGE Thank you,

i have successfully configured ipv6 on my Proxmox installation.

The missing line : "iface lo inet6 loopback".

I wanted to THANK THOSE IN THIS THREAD so much!!!

I've been struggling for a few days trying to get IPV6 connectivity working with Proxmox. I'm very new to this "distribution" but not new to networks nor linux...

I also ran into an issue where the vmbr0 bridge (or any other) couldn't ping anything on the local ipv6 subnet but could hit anything else that went thru the router.... The solution was to disable multicast snooping on the bridge interface. Took me hours w/ tcpdump to figure that one out.... I didn't think IPv6 was all that new.... :(

Code:
echo 0 > /sys/devices/virtual/net/vmbr0/bridge/multicast_snooping

And another bug in proxmox (if you bring up a vm w/ a different vlan and it creates a new bridge for you, it will turn this back on so to fix that (has a patch available): http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/17895-Disable-Multicast-Snooping

Hopefully this info helps more of us IPv6 users out there. :cool:

Is there a regression with 2.6.32-40-pve and 2.6.32-41-pve?

On a KVM VM that used to connect with IPv6 just fine:

Code:
# ping6 ipv6.google.com
PING ipv6.google.com(wn-in-x66.1e100.net) 56 data bytes
^C
--- ipv6.google.com ping statistics ---
63 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 62000ms

It works with 2.6.32-37-pve so we've gone back to that.
We have not tested -38 or -39.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!