[SOLVED] - Proxmox 2.3 Host Video Card

Y

yozh

So I have a some what strange issue and not a common one.

I just built a i7-3770 box with 32GB RAM on a DQ77MK motherboard, which supports vPro with AMT. AMT is used for remote KVM (always on IP KVM built-in) I have this running on few boxes like ESXi and such no issues. Here is a problem I have with proxmox install.

I was able to do remote install via the AMT KVM with out an issue the video was ok, the ISO mounted, install went fine, but now when I boot proxmox after the bootloader the video is gone KVM and I get an error that video display adapter is inactive from the VNC+, the proxmox box is up and running, webgui/SSH all work just fine, but I need KVM.

Anyone knows what video driver proxmox is using ? How can I check if Intel HD Graphics got loaded ? Maybe change the Intel HD 4000 driver ? Does Proxmox disable video card on boot if its headless (no monitor attached ?) ?

EDIT: I`m ok with not using specific drivers and have a VGA resolution, I just need to be able to see the console via KVM

Please help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Proxmox 2.3 Host Video Card

Change the modecfg line in grub.cfg

We have the same boards running Ubuntu and had the same problem :)
Apart from that minor issue they are a great little board.

Change the modecfg line in grub.cfg

We have the same boards running Ubuntu and had the same problem :)
Apart from that minor issue they are a great little board.

Hey Thanks for the reply, can you be a bit more specific ? Which ModeCFG line ? In my grub.cfg I dont have a line with that keyword.

Hey Thanks for the reply, can you be a bit more specific ? Which ModeCFG line ? In my grub.cfg I dont have a line with that keyword.

Finally got it added nomodeset to the boot line, now can see the screen !

Lol yup thats it! not in front of my PC so i didnt have my notes....

Ok I think I`m loosing my mind, I was doing some reconfigurations and after that, the nomodeset is not working anymore

Ok I think I`m loosing my mind, I was doing some reconfigurations and after that, the nomodeset is not working anymore

is also needed i915.modeset=0 !

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!