[SOLVED] New Build - Cannot Get GUI to Show up on X550-T2 - Cannot Ping Gateway or LAN devices

dizzydre21

Apr 10, 2023
Hello,

I just put together a new server with an Epyc ROMED8-2T motherboard, running Proxmox v8.1.3, though I tried and had the same issue with v7 beforehand. This board has a built-in X550-T2. I want to use the bottom port "eno2" for Vmbr0 to access the Proxmox GUI. I have a custom built pFsense router with a 4-port Intel NIC with four separate LANs. This Proxmox server "pve" is on the LAN that I call "Management" and is a 192.168.40.xx network. I have configured Vmbr0 in /etc/network/interfaces exactly the same as the machine that this new server replaced, but I can't for the life of me get the Proxmox GUI to come up. I can't even ping the gateway at 192.168.40.1 or anything else on the same LAN. I do have a 2.5gb switch between the pFsense router and the X550-T2. I am able to reach my second server, "pve2", just fine. It's on the same switch.

Running
Code:
ip addr
gives me a link up for Vmbr0, but again I can't ping anything in or out, or see the GUI.

It is worth noting that I can change Vmbr0 to use an x520 card that is in a PCie slot and it pops up just fine, but that card is on a different LAN. It is also worth noting that my pFsense firewall rules have not changed since I replaced my previous server with this one. I allow some traffic between LANs depending on the device. The old machine did have 2.5gb NICs, though. I am wondering if the x550 doesn't like the 2.5gb switch or if something else is going on.

Any help would be appreciated.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!