[SOLVED] Need help for configurating proxmox with pfsense on a R86S (Basic network interfaces configurations, direct ethernet link, isc-dhcp-server]

Syxal

Jan 9, 2024
Switzerland
Good day everyone,
I am in the process of changing ISP (to Init7) and I bought a R86S-U4 for that, I want to install pfsense on proxmox on it
In an ideal world, I plug an ethernet cable on the router and my pc and boom I can access the webgui.. but that's just too beautiful to work that simply

The router has 3 ethernet ports (Intel I believe, not really important to know) and 2 SFP+ ports (Mellanox device), one of them for the optic fiber
Currently I am able to access the webgui by passing the traffic through my old router, so if I do need to make configurations through the webgui I technically can. It's just that in this setup I can't actually configurate pfsense, and then I'd have no guarantee that I can access proxmox webgui once my old router is gone, and it would be extremely bad to rely on pfsense for that. Proxmox should ultimately be accessible even if the VM is down

I am 100% certain I am being stupid, but the more I do the less I understand and the less I know what next step I should take, I need some external pair of eyes

Now is the moment where I describe what I tried:

At first I tried modifying the network interfaces (enp2s0 is where my pc is connected to and enp3s0 is where the R86S is connected to the old router)
I can only access the web-gui if I put the IP under vmbr2 instead and as 192.168.1.<whatever>/24 (and of course the appropriate gateway)
JSON:
auto lo

iface lo inet loopback

iface enp1s0 inet manual

iface enp2s0 inet manual

iface enp3s0 inet manual

iface enp5s0 inet manual

iface enp5s0d1 inet manual

iface wlo1I am absolutely certain I am being stupid, but the more I do the less I understand and I need some external pair of eyes inet manual

auto vmbr0

iface vmbr0 inet static

bridge-ports enp1s0

bridge-stp off

bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr1

iface vmbr1 inet static

address 192.168.0.22/24

gateway 192.168.0.1

bridge-ports enp2s0

bridge-stp off

bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr2

iface vmbr2 inet manual

bridge-ports enp3s0

bridge-stp off

bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr3

iface vmbr3 inet manual

bridge-ports enp5s0

bridge-stp off

bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr4

iface vmbr4 inet manual

bridge-ports enp5s0d1

bridge-stp off

bridge-fd 0

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

I also tried using isc-dhcp-server following this guide https://first2host.co.uk/blog/proxmox-dhcp-server/ and followed along exactly, but it didn't want to start

Lastly, I also tried making a local network directly with built-in features under the "datacenter" tab
1704826872735.png

Here is the zones:
1704826863539.png

Here is the VNets: (IP ranging from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.255)
1704827303652.png

I also tried making the LAN with pfsense in the VM, but that wasn't convincing. (I put every vmbr as network cards in the VM)

With all that, I also made sure that my pc has the IP 192.168.0.100/24 on its ethernet port (and for good measures, disabled iwd to be only connected to the R86S)

Any idea on what I should do?

Last edited:
Turned out I wasn't insisting with isc-dhcp-network and that it technically works, but that's not the actual solution. The direct ethernet link should work by default without any supplementar service. In any case, isc-dhcp-server can still be useful for some specific uses cases and here is the configuration I got to work, can always be useful to someone:

JSON:
/etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf

# Configuration file for ISC dhcpd. You can leave the subnet and netmask settings
# below as they are.
subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
  range 192.168.0.1 192.168.0.255;
  option routers 192.168.0.1;
  option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
  default-lease-time 21600000;
  max-lease-time 432000000;
  authoritative;
  # Other options as needed
}

# Here we are binding IPs to MAC addresses. Each IP should have a MAC. Contact support 
# if you do not have MACs.

host VM1 {
  hardware ethernet 00:f0:cb:fe:b6:4d;
  fixed-address 192.168.0.100;
  option routers 192.168.0.1;
  option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
}

Also, I was badly configurating the IP address on my pc and the network interface wasn't fully correct. I vm bridged every ports, which is not correct, not necessary and quite unoptimized (especially for router purposes, it's giving the CPU more unecessary tasks)
Here is the corrected version of the network interface:

JSON:
/etc/network/interfaces

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp1s0 inet manual

iface enp2s0 inet manual

iface enp3s0 inet manual

iface enp5s0 inet manual

iface enp5s0d1 inet manual

iface wlo1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 192.168.0.22/24
        bridge-ports enp1s0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

About the IP settings on my pc (Arch), I was adding the IP using
Code:
 ip addr add dev enp0s31f6 192.168.0.100
Instead, I should have edited this file:
Code:
/etc/systemd/network/20-wired.network

[Match]
Name= enp0s31f6

[Network]
Address=192.168.0.100/24
Gateway=192.168.0.1

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!