SOLVED: NAS storage, limited space available

herbus

Jan 24, 2024
Hi,

I've searched the complete afternoon but can't find the right answer :-(
In PVE I've added my Synology NAS (via SMB and NFS) and it's showing the right disk capacity and used space. Capacity 9,83Tb, free space approx 2,46Tb.
Synology Proxmox.png
I've used the NAS to store the PVE backups (not PBS) and that worked okay.

Today I've installed the latest version of PBS (in a container and vm, just to find the differences).
If I add the Synology using 'add Datastore'. The datastore is added but the disk space isn't right. Capacity 9,91Gb, free space approx 8,24Gb.

Datastore.png
PBS in a container or vm behaves the same, there's also no difference in using the storage via SMB or NFS.
I've looked almost evry Youtube tutorial but missing the clue (or knowledge) to solve it.
Can anyone help me?

Thank you in advance,

Jos

Just a thought, but on Synology, did you set a quota for the user / user-group that you use to connect to the nas from your PBS, or for the share itself?

And if you connect (via smb) to the share that you have set for the backup from your (windows) PC, what size used/max does it show there?

If we compare it between 3 different systems (PC, PVE, PBS) to the same share with the same protocol, we can see who the odd one out is, and if we should focus on why PBS has it "wrong" or why PVE sees something different (most likely caused by the Synology in that regard)

I don't have a quota set on the Synology. Strange is also that in Proxmox the Synology shares have enough space. It seems to mess up when the shares are being used in PBS.

The share in PBS is wrong. All the other devices like PVE, windows and Mac can use the share with enough free space.

Last edited:
Your backup storage (mnt/pve/synology-backup) is not mounted to the NAS, but to the local file system of the container (10GB ?).

What does your fstab mount entry of the synology look like?
What is the result of the command df -h?

Last edited:
Your backup storage (mnt/pve/synology-backup) is not mounted to the NAS, but to the local file system of the container (10GB ?).

What does your fstab mount entry of the synology look like?
What is the result of the command df -h?
Hmmmm, that sounds like an issue.
I don't edited fstab. Do I need to do that manualy in /etc/fstab/?

df-h:
df -h.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!