Solution to strange behaviour with Win10 VM

dxrgp

Aug 16, 2018
Hi!
I'd like to share the solution to a problem I've experienced today.

I've tried to install Windows 10 VM so I followed Proxmox wiki manual. Unfortunately there were issues which made me completely unable to finish installation:

- VM has started automatically WITHOUT my will
- it was impossible to stop VM or do anything really (I had to delete it from Linux console)
- after virtIO iso were added (as a CD/DVD) it showed up info in red text color and Windows installer didn't see it at all
- it was possible to "restart" VM by closing installer window but it didn't change anything

So I was searching forums, blogs etc. with hope that I find any clue somewhere there. Unfortunately there were no consistent and/or precise solution posted.

After a few hours of misery I've decided to try once again and I made a mistake which solved my problem.
During installation setup procces I forgot to choose OS type system and left Linux instead of Windows 10. Surprisingly it didn't raise any error and I've successfully installed Windows already.

I hope it helped somebody.

- VM has started automatically WITHOUT my will
unlikely, i guess you checked 'start after create' ?

- it was impossible to stop VM or do anything really (I had to delete it from Linux console)
probably because windows was not installed yet and the default shutdown relies on apci (which is not working in the installer)

- after virtIO iso were added (as a CD/DVD) it showed up info in red text color and Windows installer didn't see it at all
that means the change is 'pending', you can only add a ide drive when the vm is off

- it was possible to "restart" VM by closing installer window but it didn't change anything
a restart from inside the vm is not enough for pending changes to be applied, you need to stop the vm and then start it again

unlikely, i guess you checked 'start after create' ?

probably because windows was not installed yet and the default shutdown relies on apci (which is not working in the installer)

that means the change is 'pending', you can only add a ide drive when the vm is off

a restart from inside the vm is not enough for pending changes to be applied, you need to stop the vm and then start it again

No, I've left 'start after create' every time. That's obvious...
And there is no explanation of working Windows as Linux and not working as Windows... duh...
It can be due to I don't have any subscription, and some bug could stirr things around. I run PVE for testing though so that's fine.

I wonder what is going to happen if I change VM type to Windows now :)

EDIT:

OK, I've changed VM type to Windows 10/2016 and this destroyed my VM. No boot to OS, no way to shut down. Just blank screen and fraction of resources consumed.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!