Snapshot option greyed out

kazi

Jan 18, 2024
I'm having an issue with my proxmox server and snapshots - the option is greyed out and i cant work out why? any suggestions?

Its a linux KVM running on a SAN.
ALL my VMs are qcow2 image.

HereScreenshot 2024-03-16 at 12.39.54 PM.png is my /etc/pve/st
orage.cfg file

Last edited:
Your configuration file shows that you:
- have iSCSI storage called "Proxmox-iscsi"
- have LVM THICK storage that depends on "Proxmox-iscsi" and is marked shared
- have local LVM-thin pool

As pointed out by @ronaldst for PVE to allow snapshots for a specific VM - it must be located on storage that supports the snapshots.
The only two storage pools in your configuration that could support snapshots are "local-lvm" and "Backup-VM".

Since your "local" is not marked "images" - you cant place disk images there. So you are down to "Backup-VM" which is the only place where you can place qcow at this time.

So in summary: In PVE direct iSCSI storage does not support snapshots (or any metadata operations). LVM Thick does not support snapshots. You are probably mistake about disk image format.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Which disk image format do I need to mention? This is my test environment. I will do PROD and Pre-PROD

Last edited:
Which disk image format do I need to mention? This is my test environment. I will do PROD and Pre-PROD
I am confused by your question. There is nothing you can do with SAN+ISCSI+LVM (thick) to get snapshots.
You can enable "images" on "local" and create/store disks as qcow. That will give you snaphots, but it wont change anything about your SAN.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!