smtplib.SMTPNotSupportedError: SMTP AUTH extension not supported by server. When attempting to connect from and authentik server

SpaceFlier

Apr 9, 2024
Im running PMG and iRedMail as my mail gateway/service and have gotten everything setup correclty. My immich instance is able to connect and send emails to my gmail account using the following configuration:
1728564465720.png
when I run an email test from the authentik server using the
Bash:
docker compose exec worker ak test_email mx.*********.***
command i get the following:
Python:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<frozen runpy>", line 198, in _run_module_as_main
  File "<frozen runpy>", line 88, in _run_code
  File "/manage.py", line 52, in <module>
    execute_from_command_line(sys.argv)
  File "/ak-root/venv/lib/python3.12/site-packages/django/core/management/__init__.py", line 442, in execute_from_command_line
    utility.execute()
  File "/ak-root/venv/lib/python3.12/site-packages/django/core/management/__init__.py", line 436, in execute
    self.fetch_command(subcommand).run_from_argv(self.argv)
  File "/ak-root/venv/lib/python3.12/site-packages/django/core/management/base.py", line 413, in run_from_argv
    self.execute(*args, **cmd_options)
  File "/ak-root/venv/lib/python3.12/site-packages/django/core/management/base.py", line 459, in execute
    output = self.handle(*args, **options)
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/authentik/tenants/management/__init__.py", line 38, in handle
    self.handle_per_tenant(*args, **options)
  File "/ak-root/venv/lib/python3.12/site-packages/django/core/management/base.py", line 107, in wrapper
    res = handle_func(*args, **kwargs)
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/authentik/stages/email/management/commands/test_email.py", line 38, in handle_per_tenant
    send_mail(message.__dict__, stage.pk)
  File "/ak-root/venv/lib/python3.12/site-packages/celery/local.py", line 182, in __call__
    return self._get_current_object()(*a, **kw)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/ak-root/venv/lib/python3.12/site-packages/celery/app/task.py", line 411, in __call__
    return self.run(*args, **kwargs)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/ak-root/venv/lib/python3.12/site-packages/celery/app/autoretry.py", line 60, in run
    ret = task.retry(exc=exc, **retry_kwargs)
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/ak-root/venv/lib/python3.12/site-packages/celery/app/task.py", line 720, in retry
    raise_with_context(exc or Retry('Task can be retried', None))
  File "/ak-root/venv/lib/python3.12/site-packages/celery/app/autoretry.py", line 38, in run
    return task._orig_run(*args, **kwargs)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/authentik/stages/email/tasks.py", line 105, in send_mail
    raise exc
  File "/authentik/stages/email/tasks.py", line 73, in send_mail
    backend.open()
  File "/ak-root/venv/lib/python3.12/site-packages/django/core/mail/backends/smtp.py", line 95, in open
    self.connection.login(self.username, self.password)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.12/smtplib.py", line 716, in login
    raise SMTPNotSupportedError(
smtplib.SMTPNotSupportedError: SMTP AUTH extension not supported by server.
Sentry is attempting to send 1 pending events
Waiting up to 2 seconds
Press Ctrl-C to quit

My .env file for authentik relating to smtp has the same settings as the immich instance:
Code:
# SMTP Host Emails are sent to
AUTHENTIK_EMAIL__HOST=mx.*******.***
AUTHENTIK_EMAIL__PORT=587
# Optionally authenticate (don't add quotation marks to your password)
AUTHENTIK_EMAIL__USERNAME=authentik@**********.***
AUTHENTIK_EMAIL__PASSWORD=**************
# Use StartTLS
AUTHENTIK_EMAIL__USE_TLS=true
# Use SSL
AUTHENTIK_EMAIL__USE_SSL=false
AUTHENTIK_EMAIL__TIMEOUT=10
# Email address authentik will send from, should have a correct @domain
AUTHENTIK_EMAIL__FROM=authentik@***********.***

I'm not sure whats causing authentik to fail and immich to work fine, and from what i can see with that error its mainly people writing their own python scripts and implementing an smtp server and missing a line or something like that.
Sorry if im missing something important, ive been trying to get this to work for the past 4 hours and im almost burnt out (thus posting on the forums hoping ill get a miracle)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!