SMB / Fstab help

zeronavigation

Jul 15, 2023
After a fully working proxmox server on a old pc I created a new proxmox server on better hardware.

Most of the node is working, but I have two questions remaining.

First Question:

I mounted an existing (shucked USB Western Digital drive with NTFS format) with:

Code:
mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/Elements

After which I am able to see all files on the disk.

However, after a reboot I need to remount the drive. But as I've read I can also use fstab in order to make the mount more permanent.

A previous fstab I used, but seems to not be working fine right now is:

Code:
/dev/pve/root / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
UUID=F84A17A64A1760A4 /mnt/Elements ntfs-3g rw,credentials=/etc/cifs-credentials,exec 0 2
/dev/pve/swap none swap sw 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

However, that was with the disk being used as USB, and I don't know what steps I previously performed.
Are the above mentioned settings alright? Should I add the drive on which the Proxmox OS is installed as well?

These are my connected drives:
1723809054428.png

Proxmox is installed on sda (SSD).
The NTSF drive is mounted on sdb
The nvme0n1 is currently empty (next step is to make RAID1 using this and NTSF drive).

Second Question:
I installed OpenMediaVault.
Added the drive with
Code:
qm set 100 -scsi2 /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD80EDAZ-11TA3A0_VG068SDG
Added the drive to shared folders with read/write permissions.
Enabled the the SMB/CIFS service by enabling it and selected the shared folder.

This way I am able to see the files on the disk, but one peculiar this is happening:
New files (either created by a computer using Windows Explorer on a added drive, or created on the disk with proxmox utilities) are not shown by the counterpart. As if the connection with computers is not updated.

What could be the cause of this?

Last edited:
Hey,

could you check with blkid if the UUID you have set in the fstab file matches the ones of the drive? Generally you can have the drive mounted on the host, or have it assigned to the VM, not both.

Hey,

could you check with blkid if the UUID you have set in the fstab file matches the ones of the drive? Generally you can have the drive mounted on the host, or have it assigned to the VM, not both.

Thank you for your reply!

blkid gives:
Code:
/dev/sdb1: LABEL="Elements" BLOCK_SIZE="512" UUID="F84A17A64A1760A4" TYPE="ntfs" PARTLABEL="Elements" PARTUUID="b3c9792e-e09f-470c-adbd-a0a4b401e91b"

Perhaps the mount + OMV is causing the problem I have with Windows Explorer.

So in this case should I unmount and only use OMV? In that case, how do I use the drive on other containers? Should I perform a passthrough like in OMV? Now I use the mount mainly because of several containers needing access.

Last edited:
Maybe, but you probably want the PARTUUID, not the UUID, since it is the partition you would be mounting.

But if you'll only need it in the VM, don't mount it on the host at all.

Maybe, but you probably want the PARTUUID, not the UUID, since it is the partition you would be mounting.

But if you'll only need it in the VM, don't mount it on the host at all.

So I will retry it with the PARTUUID.

And regarding the access of containers with the storage device. Should this then go through the SMB (OMV)?

By the way. I dismounted the mount with umount, but unfortunately the SMB share through OMV doesnt give me the most up to date folders and files.
(example: with Syncthing LXC I added some files to the storage device. These are not visible in Windows Explorer).
EDIT: I rebooted OMV and after the reboot these files are visible. It is thus a problem with OMV!!!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!