[SOLVED] skip greylisting for valid SPF tests

IEM

Sep 4, 2018
Austria
greylisting is great, but mails take considerably longer.

one option is to just lower the netmask of greylisted IPs, but since this is a global option it means that while it works for big sender networks and it also defeats greylisting in more fragmented networks. and you still get the initial delay.
another option is to just manually whitelist whatever important senders you deal with, but: no thanks (I have other things to do than to manually track which outgoing MX a given company is using)

so what we did before switching to PMG, was to skip greylisting iff the incoming mail passed the SPF check (anything below pass would be greylisted or rejected right away).

is there a way to do this in PMG?

I recently got aware of milter-greylist, which appears to be what I'm looking for but:
- i don't really know (yet) how to set it up with pmg (before PMG, I used exim; and PMG makes it easy to not have to worry about the underlying mta too much :) )
- While milter-greylist is available in Debian/bullseye and Debian/sid (and Debian/buster), it is not available Debian/bookworm (and doesn't look like it will be available in Debian/trixie either)
my PMG installation is still based on Debian/bullseye, so that's not a problem for now, but I expect it to be updated to bookworm soon.

ideas?

Last edited:
so what we did before switching to PMG, was to skip greylisting iff the incoming mail passed the SPF check (anything below pass would be greylisted or rejected right away).
This is also what PMG does if you enable the SPF checking in the mailproxy - if a mail passes spf then it is accepted right-away

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!