Simple Overall Networking Topology

jmace

Feb 12, 2012
Networking is not my strong suit, so I thought I would toss my question to those with much more experience. I use VE mainly for testing purposes for an ASP.NET application that we have developed. Currently, it is a Windows only Web application. Most of our clients are government agencies that have their web application servers and database servers behind a domain controller, most often, Active Directory.

Warning: I am coming from a VMWare Server 2.0 background...

Currently, VE 2.0 is installed on a mid-tower server with 2 network interface cards, one of which, eth0, is connected to our internal LAN (192.168.1.x) with a static IP of 192.168.1.100 and eth1 is not used at all and is turned off. When I set up my virtual machines, I normally configure each one with 2 NICs, one bridged and the other one NAT. The bridged card is assigned a static IP (192.168.1.100+<vmid>), the other is assigned an IP through DHCP and is usually in the class A range. I am using a vanilla install of VE.

My questions are: 1) Do I need to bridge or bond eth0 to create the VE bridge for Internet access, 2.) Should I set up a new bridge for strictly internal, Internet-less, communications, and 3) What does my /etc/network/interfaces config need to look like as well as my Proxmox Networking settings in the Web management console?

Thank you in advance...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!