Shutdown Proxmox automatically at 2200.

eiger3970

Sep 9, 2012
Hi Proxmox forum,
I'm trying to shutdown Proxmox at 2200 everynight, with a 10 minute warning.
Where can I place the command "shutdown -h -P now"?
Is it in a config file somewhere? I'm not sure which config file to use?

Thanks, that fixed it.
Although, now that I had to replace the MOBO battery so the BIOS would store the System Time so the RTC Alarm will start the computer at 8am every morning, this seems to have effected Proxmox being unable to boot?

I boot up and receive the error/monitor display:

done.
activating swap...done.
checking root file system...fsck from util-linux-ng 2.17.2
dev/mapper/pve-root: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
(i.e., without -a or -p options)
fsck died with exit status 4
filed (code 4).
An automatic file system check (fsck) of the root filesystem failed. A manual fsck must be performed, then the system restarted.
The fsck should be performed in maintenance mode with the root filesystem mounted in ready-only mode. ... failed!
The root filesystem is currently mounted in read-only mode. A mantenance shell will now be started. After performing system maintenance, press CONTROL-D to terminate the maintenance shell and restart the system. ... (warning).
Give root password for maintenance
or type Control-D to continue):

I enter the password: password and the next line shows:
root@proxmox:~#
ifconfig shows no results.
shutdown -h -P now shutsdown computer very quickly. Messeage says PVE proxmox daemon failed.

I hope I haven't lost my proxmox server?

Thanks. That fixed it.

Although now proxmox won't load.
I replaced the MOBO battery to save the MOBO System Time correctly so the RTC Alarm would boot the computer automatically at 08:00.
done.
activating swap...done.
dev/mapper/pve-root: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
(i.e., without -a or -p options)
fsck died with exit status 4
filed (code 4).
An automatic file system check (fsck) of the root filesystem failed. A manual fsck must be performed, then the system restarted.
The fsck should be performed in maintenance mode with the root filesystem mounted in ready-only mode. ... failed!
The root filesystem is currently mounted in read-only mode. A mantenance shell will now be started. After performing system maintenance, press CONTROL-D to terminate the maintenance shell and restart the system. ... (warning).
Give root password for maintenance
or type Control-D to continue):

I enter the password: password and the next line shows: root@proxmox:~#
ifconfig shows no results.
shutdown -h -P now shutsdown computer very quickly. Messeage says PVE proxmox daemon failed.

Followed instructions but proxmox seems to be destroyed. Very fragile in my opinion.
Had a look at Commercial Support Subscription and I don't see the value in paying 199 Euro as there's no support?

Anyway, I do have a backup, but as I'm a Proxmox noob, I don't know how to restore Proxmox, let alone the test website I had on there with a forum.

A big problem for me.

Thanks for the reply adamb. Please provide a reply that can be of benefit to the development of proxmox.
Any suggestions are welcome.
Just to note, I ran the fsck command which seems to run, but didn't resolve the issue.

I'm now running a new proxmox install on another HDD until someone helpful can assist with recovering this broken fragile version.

...Well, finished new install and same error.
I guess it's something to do with the MOBO then?

Any tips would really help, thanks.

Last edited:
I think adamb is gently trying to suggest that the filesystem corruption you had is probably caused by something like turning off the machine without telling it to shutdown first. Normally, one just shouldn't get filesystem corruption.

In other words, the problem probably lies not with proxmox but behind the keyboard...
Of course, your HDD (or other components) may be faulty, you may try testing it e.g. with a diagnostic image from your HDD manufacturer.

So lets get this straight.

- You installed brand new hard drive
- Directly after proxmox install you reboot and come back to the errors you reported in the original post?

If that's the case I am unsure how a faulty MB could be causing this.

Hi, well, I ran fsck on the 2nd HDD and followed the Y prompts and it seems to work.
Disconnected the 2nd HDD and reconnected the 1st HDD and did the same and seems to have fixed it.
What a relief as backups aren't 100% fool proof yet.
Bit of a learning curve but hopefully no issues until backups are reliable.

Hi Proxmox,
well it seems another problem has arisen.
The System Time keeps changing which means I cannot set the server to turn on automatically at 08:00.
I have replaced the MOBO with 3 CR2032 batteries (2 from cheap shop, 1 from expensive Energiser) and this does not fix the MOBO's BIOS saving the System Time.

I suspect the Proxmox operating system may be effecting the clock. (Reference: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=1006041123364).

Process:
1. Boot computer.

2. Press Delete button every 1/2 second.

3. BIOS G41M-VS3 P1.20 v02.67c American Megatrends Inc opens and change System Time to current time.

4. F10 and Ok to save and exit BIOS settings. (Computer then boots up Proxmox).

5. In Proxmox root@proxmox: Date is entered and the correct time shows.

6. Shutdown Proxmox root@proxmox: shutdown -h -P now.

7. Reboot computer (AND SOMETIMES THIS BOOT ERROR APPEARS:
done.
activating swap...done
dev/mapper/pve-root: Superblock last mount time is in the future.
(by less than a day, probably due to the hardware clock being incorrectly set) FIXED.
dev/mapper/pve-root: Superblock last write time is in the future.
(by less than a day, probably due to the hardware clock being incrrectly set). FIXED.
dev/mapper/pve-root: clean, 39494/6291456 files, 1978311/25165823 blocks
done.
cleaning up ifupdown....
setting up networking....
loading kernel modules...done.
Setting up LVM (...and so on...).

and then Proxmox still shows the correct time.

8. Reboot computer and go into BIOS and the incorrect System Time shows 99% of the time?

9. Then reboot again into Proxmox with wrong BIOS System Time and correct time shows???

This is no good as the automatic boot won't work without the correct BIOS System Time.

I am rechecking latest BIOS firmware, however I have already flashed the BIOS a few times on this and other MOBOs and continue to have the same issue.

Thank you.
How do I access the file path?
I go to: cd /etc/sysconfig/clock and receive the error: No such file or directory?

Thank you.
How do I access the file path?
I go to: cd /etc/sysconfig/clock and receive the error: No such file or directory?

There is no /etc/sysconfig in debian/Proxmox, that is found in RedHat based systems,

If you want to adjust how the clock works please read:
http://debian-handbook.info/browse/stable/sect.config-misc.html

The Debian Administrators Handbook is a great resource, especially for someone who is just getting started with Linux.

There is no /etc/sysconfig in debian/Proxmox, that is found in RedHat based systems,

If you want to adjust how the clock works please read:
http://debian-handbook.info/browse/stable/sect.config-misc.html

The Debian Administrators Handbook is a great resource, especially for someone who is just getting started with Linux.

Thanks.
ok, finally fixed.
Thanks for the UTC and Local times pointers.
The BIOS shows the wrong System Time for my local +10 time.
It must set on UTC as per the OS Proxmox.
Hence I changed the BIOS' RTC -10 to be on UTC, which will wake on my local +10 time.

Confusing!!!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!