Shutdown All Guests on PVE 5.1

Jun 19, 2018
Hello Guys,

i´ve tried the search, but i only find very old threads.

i´m trying to setup an usv shutdown procedere for our 6 Node PVE Cluster.

First i want to shutdown all guests.

After that, i want to shutdown the Hosts.

We are running also CEPH on all PVE Hosts as Shared Storage. Therefore it is important that all guests are off before the Hosts begin to shutdown.

Question here is:

Is there a shell command for shutdown all guests on an PVE Host?

qm stopall is deprecated

service pve-manager stop is deprecated

systemctl stop pve-manager quits with:

Failed to stop pve-manager.service: Operation refused, unit pve-guests.service may be requested by dependency only.

What the heck i am doing wrong? isn´t there a command for this?

Thank you!

For starting a cold cluster it seems everything is ordered :
"

5.12. Cluster Cold Start​

It is obvious that a cluster is not quorate when all nodes are offline. This is a common case after a power failure.
NoteIt is always a good idea to use an uninterruptible power supply (“UPS”, also called “battery backup”) to avoid this state, especially if you want HA.
On node startup, the pve-guests service is started and waits for quorum. Once quorate, it starts all guests which have the onboot flag set.
When you turn on nodes, or when power comes back after power failure, it is likely that some nodes boots faster than others. Please keep in mind that guest startup is delayed until you reach quorum.
"

in my lab with 3 nodes, as soon as I have 2 nodes up, proxmox 6 starts vms and ct on theses nodes, thus breaking the global ordering of startup.

for shutdown all cluster
: it seems that there is no ordered shutdown possible globally for all nodes of a cluster
I can't find any command for that, since there is only a node by node command to stopall guests...

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!