Should qcow2 be really slow to create

itsmeritch

Jun 8, 2024
As above, I've got a brand new 8TB HDD connected direct to my server. I made it a directory of format ext4 on my node and now I'm trying to add the hard disk to a VM using SCSI. I tried to do 5TB qcow2 but 30 mins later, nothing happened and it was still loading. I cancelled it and did a small 32GB with the intention of resizing it but the 32GB one again, is currently still running, 20 mins later. Is this normal?

The server is working hard with load increased etc but can't see any progress

Any advice appreciated

To answer my message, it seems it was just a glitch. I reseated the sata cables and gave the server a reboot and its been working fine since. It should not take that long to image a qcow2 disk, in reality, it took less than 2 minutes.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!