Shared storage between VM's

Revdutchie

Jul 9, 2012
Hello,

I am running 4 VM's on a machine and each VM is used as a game server.

My question is can I create a directory that can be used by each VM ?
What I want to do is create a Ramdisk that holds a directory with files that are used by all VM's.
The ramdisk greatly improves the loading speed of the gameservers on map change but it is 8Gb in seize and I do not
have enough ram to create a Ramdisk for each VM seperate.

Hope my question is clear.

Best regards
Jacques

does all VM use the same file or does every VM have it own directory with files inthere???

Are you talking about the files that should be shared ? Then all VM's use the same files.

Each VM has it's own setup and IP those files are stored on the VM itself but next to that there are a lot of files that all the VM's use that part I
would like to store in A Ramdisk that can be accessed by all VM's

Hope this makes it more clear.

If you're running KVM VMs, you could try to share the RAMdisk as if they were shared between physical machines: e.g. use samba or NFS or... (insert your alternative)

If you're running openvz containers, that method will still work; perhaps using bind mounts has less overhead: http://wiki.openvz.org/Bind_mounts

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!