Share iscsi storage proxmox and ESXi

kazi

Jan 18, 2024
I am planning to migrate my VMs to proxmox. My question is, can proxmox migrate the ESXi VMs to the same iscsi storage?

Thanks

Storage device probably yes (if you have enough space), storage-target, maybe but I would advice against.

I've moved dozens of VM's from esx to proxmox recently with an iscsi-device as storage, and I found it more safe to set up a second target/lun for proxmox, just to avoid confusion/conflicts, and to more easily clean up once ESX was done.
Also, depending on your exact setup within ProxMox, it might make a lun per disk on your target, instead of ESXi's usual one-big-lun setup (it is possible to use the one-big-lun setup mind you, just a few more steps + commandline, but for me that wasn't an issue, since I wanted to use multipath anyway)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!