Share GPU between two VM

vaibhavyagnik

Feb 10, 2022
Before I start, let me give a run down of my current hardware and configuration
  • Intel core i7 10700K (iGPU enabled in the BIOS)
  • Asus Prime Z490-P
  • 32 GB RAM
  • 2 NVME drives
  • Sapphire RX570 4GB VRAM
  • Fenvi HB1200 for bluetooth and Wifi
I have windows and Mac OS installed on the 2 NVME drives and I boot into any one operating system through Opencore. I use windows for gaming and MacOS for Video editing.

Can I configure Proxmox so that both, my iGPU and RX570 are passed on to Windows and MacOS so that I can quickly switch between OS just by changing my monitor input or is it not possible?

That depends. You can passthrogh one of them into the WinVM and the other one into the Mac VM. But that will only work if your mainboard allows this. Usually your PVE host also needs a GPU to be able to boot and then you can't passthrough that GPU anymore if it was already initialized by PVE.
And adding both GPUs to both VMs won't work neither, because then only one of them can be running at a time.
And I guess the iGPU is neither good for gaming nor video editing.

What you are trying to say is that I will have to compromise. I will have to use MacOS with only the iGPU and Windows with dGPU. I will also have to buy a third GPU for Proxmox. Am I correct?

What you are trying to say is that I will have to compromise. I will have to use MacOS with only the iGPU and Windows with dGPU. I will also have to buy a third GPU for Proxmox. Am I correct?
Jep. You can try it with just the two GPUs you got but probably you need to buy a third one and then I would use the iGPU for PVE and the two dGPUs for the VMs so you profit most from GPU RAM and hardware accelleration when gaming/video editing.

Were you able to set this up? I can't enable IOMMU as the mobo (same as yours, Asus Z490-P) doesn't seem to feature separate IOMMU groups and/or ACS.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!