[SOLVED] Sfp+ ports work until bridged.

Navriin

Sep 3, 2024
I recently switch to fiber internet and got an sfp transceiver to use as my opnsense vm's Wan. When I first plug the transceiver and fiber cable into my box the leds come on and it behaves as expected. When I setup a bridge for that same port the leds turn off and it goes into a down state. Ip link set dev <port> up does nothing and neither does ip link set <port> up.

Update: after about an hour of doing fine the un-bridged port is now down too. Have no clue what's going on

Have you tried / are you able to try this SFP-Transceiver in some other system/hardware? Just to rule out something faulty with hardware or the like.
Also if you, with the config set up, unplug and re-plug and then "up" the port again if need-be, or reboot the system with the config turned on, does it show anything different then?
Finally, anything in the logs or if you run the ifreload with debug-logging? (ifreload -a -d)

I put it In a media converter and was able to connect without issue. I have tried reseating the device, reseating the fiber, "up"-ing the port with and without reboot, and nothing changed. I haven't ran ifreload and journalctl logs didn't show any errors from what I remember, but I'll check again. I have work soon so I'll have to get back to you with the results

Not yet. I'll leave it plugged in overnight if I can't get things working and see how that goes. Ifreload didn't show any errors and I couldn't find anything is journalctl either

After a lot more troubleshooting I was able to figure out that the transceiver simply wasn't compatible with my nics. I'll mark this thread as solved if I figure out how lol

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!