SFP card driver

alfonsSF

Apr 2, 2021
Hi
I have a PVE installation on a Proliant 380 g10 server with 10 gb sfp NICS.
I must to install linux drivers, but the options are Red-Had, Suse, Sun and VMWare.
I supouse It's necessary install the Red Hat one. Isn't it ?

Last edited:
Please provide the output of pveversion -v and lspci -nnk
Which NIC model is that?

Hi,
attached the two text files for pveversion and lspci.
The NIC is

HP Ethernet 10Gb 2-port 530SFP+ Adapter

Firmware Revision:
Slot Name: PCI-E Slot 1
Manufacturer: HP

Thanks a lot

Attachments

• lspci.txt
    42.5 KB · Views: 20
  • pversion.txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 5
Code:
13:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Limited NetXtreme II BCM57810 10 Gigabit Ethernet [14e4:168e] (rev 10)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Ethernet 10Gb 2-port 530SFP+ Adapter [103c:339d]
        Kernel driver in use: bnx2x
        Kernel modules: bnx2x

Just install from debian repo https://packages.debian.org/buster/firmware-bnx2x .

Broadcom NICs often require the binary firmware blob to be loaded by the OS to work. This is likely already covered by the package 'pve-firmware' and is usually already installed if you have used the installer ISO.

I can spot bnx2x firmware in pve-firmware, so at that point there is no need to install neither the Red Hat drivers, nor to install additional packages as suggested by @czechsys , the card should simply work.

Reactions: mira
Broadcom NICs often require the binary firmware blob to be loaded by the OS to work. This is likely already covered by the package 'pve-firmware' and is usually already installed if you have used the installer ISO.

I can spot bnx2x firmware in pve-firmware, so at that point there is no need to install neither the Red Hat drivers, nor to install additional packages as suggested by @czechsys , the card should simply work.
I have this card on a Dell R720 with Proxmox-ve 6.3-1 (kernel 5.4.106-1-pve) and it does NOT work. PVE-firmware 3.2-2. Card shows activity on my switch prior to Proxmox loading, then shuts down once the kernel loads. Card firmware is updated.
Proxmox shows the interfaces as enp67s0f0 and enp67s0f1 , but I cannot force them up.

Thank you.

If I'm understanding you correctly you have the same HPE 530SFP+ card but in a Dell R720. While in my experience Dell has been less restrictive with third-party cards, mixing a HPE card within a Dell system might already be your issue.

Providing output of lspci, pveversion and some output from dmesg would be helpful as a starting point.
(You could also try out the new 5.11 kernel to check if that fixes or changes anything.)

I've seen Broadcom chips used in OEM branded and unbranded flavours in a lot of systems, there are subtle differences between each OEM brand. Lately my (sad) personal experience has been with Lenovo, Dell, SuperMicro vs. original Intel Fortville-based X710 10G cards: I was badly taken by surprise by how many subtle little differences I've found between those brands even though some cards looked virtually indistinguishable from each other, but the little issues with the respective firmware were less fun to deal and work around with.

For the future @4GuysDigital: Since you have another server model, for the future it would be better to make a new thread, then reference similar threads instead. Otherwise your post might be perceived as thread hijacking.

Reactions: 4GuysDigital

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!