Server won't boot "FAILED: failed to start Import ZFS pools by device scanning

TanteLien

Dec 2, 2022
Hi everyone,

I've been running my proxmox server for a few months now. After making some wrong network changes my server could not be reached through it's normal IP.

When I tried to reboot the server I get the message: "FAILED: failed to start import ZFS pools by device scanning.

I can't figure out how to resolve this issue.

Is there anyone that can help me?

Running a TrueNas SCALE VM on the proxmox server with an HBA passed through to the SCALE VM.

When I boot my proxmox in recovery mode and use: zpool import, I get all my drives online.

But when I reboot into non-recovery mode. I still get the same message...

After a few seconds my screen goes black and shuts off.

Last edited:
When I remove my HBA controller. I can boot normally. When I reinstall the HBA controller onto the motherboard I get the same message again....

SOLVED!

The problem was in the autostart of my TrueNas VM, due to being on autostart it starts to check the ZFS pools and prevents ProxMox from booting.

Switched the TrueNAs VM to manually booting, and now my server works again!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!