Serial value not recognized in guest VM

maiconjs

Dec 12, 2023
I'm trying to manually enter a serial number into a VM because I need to run an application that depends on reading this SMBIOS value on Windows Server 2022, but when I enter this value the OS still shows a blank value when checking via wmic bios get serialnumber

1702385176315.png1702385279414.png

Am I doing something wrong or is it a bug? How can I fix it?

I'm trying to manually enter a serial number into a VM because I need to run an application that depends on reading this SMBIOS value on Windows Server 2022, but when I enter this value the OS still shows a blank value when checking via wmic bios get serialnumber

View attachment 59688View attachment 59689

Am I doing something wrong or is it a bug? How can I fix it?
Did you stop and start the vm after adding the serial?

Yes, I restarted it but it didn't show.

It worked first try. But I stopped the vm and started it. So it was down completly, not rebooted. Maybe try again with shutdown + start?

1702386375709-png.59690

Attachments

• 1702387282755.png
    1702387282755.png
    24.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
This time I stopped the machine instead of restarting and it had no effect. Then I restarted all of proxmox, and there was no effect either.

Can you post the vm config with qm status <VMID> ?

I did as described and went a little further, I saw that there were updates to be made to proxmox and I applied them. I restarted proxmox once again and the guest VM is still not receiving the serial number.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!