Serial console issue

martijnk

May 4, 2020
Hi,

Deploying VMs with Cloud-Init. When I access the serial console I can see the VM boot. I can logon etc. No issue at all.
But when I disconnect the serial console and then reconnect to it nothing happens. I only see 'starting serial terminal on interface serial0' Pressing enter etc, nothing works.

Now I was reading that cloud-init supports serial console only right? So I can't use VGA. I've tried but then the VM doesn't even boot and hangs after creation.

Any idea how to fix this?

Deploying VMs with Cloud-Init. When I access the serial console I can see the VM boot. I can logon etc. No issue at all.
But when I disconnect the serial console and then reconnect to it nothing happens. I only see 'starting serial terminal on interface serial0' Pressing enter etc, nothing works.
this sounds like there is no getty on the serial terminal inside the VM?
check the boot-loader config of the VM - see e.g.:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/working_with_the_serial_console#getty

I hope this helps!

Reactions: Stoiko Ivanov
Glad you found the issue ;) - please mark the thread as 'SOLVED' - It might help others who also run into this problem

Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!