Serial Com Port "passthrough" still disconnecting all time

abdalaziz.janem

Nov 18, 2019
Hi Proxmoxian's,

I want to ask about serial port and pass-through on the proxmox "Virtual Environment 5.4-13", I configured it to pass-through and worked fine before but disconnect every hour.
Please anyone can help, what is the right steps to do permanent pass-through ? so i can follow it

Can you post a bit more information like the VM config?

Can you post a bit more information like the VM config?
This is what you want ?
---------
bootdisk: scsi0

cores: 2

ide2: ISO:iso/debian-10.1.0-amd64-netinst.iso,media=cdrom

memory: 2048

name: OpenHAB

net0: virtio=DA:BF:27:96:2C:30,bridge=vmbr0,tag=9

net1: virtio=B2:F8:F5:0A:40:6F,bridge=vmbr0,tag=8

numa: 0

onboot: 1

ostype: l26

scsi0: md3820-lvm:vm-121-disk-0,size=32G

scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci

serial0: /dev/ttyS0

smbios1: uuid=f1278d27-8879-462e-b1a3-f95469e70eb6

sockets: 1

vmgenid: 74d25008-4e70-4e1d-9b75-3b53370d0316

I tried to reproduce this situation with two serial to USB adapter connected via a cable, and passing one ttyUSB to the VM, sending a message each minute. I was not able to reproduce your problem when I let it run over one night :/

Do you see anything in the output of dmesg when you lose the connection?

I tried to reproduce this situation with two serial to USB adapter connected via a cable, and passing one ttyUSB to the VM, sending a message each minute. I was not able to reproduce your problem when I let it run over one night :/

Do you see anything in the output of dmesg when you lose the connection?
can you please write the steps that you did to pass it to the vm ?

I set the /dev/ttyUSB in the config file for the serial0 config option to replicate your VM config as close as possible.

If your serial port is a serial to USB device you can also try to pass through the USB device to the VM.

I set the /dev/ttyUSB in the config file for the serial0 config option to replicate your VM config as close as possible.

If your serial port is a serial to USB device you can also try to pass through the USB device to the VM.
you mean to replace this:
serial0: /dev/ttyS0
to be:
serial0: serial0
?

No, I had: serial0: /dev/ttyUSB0

If that is problematic for you another option to try as I mentioned is to use a Serial to USB device and then use the USB passthrough to hand it over to the VM.

not that I can think of. Unless you can provide some information (from dmesg for example) from around the time when your passed through serial port stops working this is fishing in the dark.

As already said, another thing you can try is to use a USB to serial device and pass it through to the VM via the USB passthrough feature. This can be done in the HW panel of the VM by adding a new USB device.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!