Separate A Node Without Reinstalling

dany8075

Feb 26, 2021
Hi !

First: sorry for my english ;)

a few years ago, i deleted a cluster and lost my vm's on it. I want to be sure that according to these steps, I will not lose my vm's and containers.

i have 3 nodes. 2 servers Proxmox 6.3-4 and one Qdevice.

Please tell me if it's safe to do that.

pvecm status at the bottom of this post.

1 - All my vm's are moved on my nodeid 01 on the local storage of this node. Here is the only one proxmox server i want to keep at the end.

2 - I have deleted all my network shared storages.

3 - I still have to do the next steps and repeat delnode step for id#02 and Qdevice:

First, stop the corosync and the pve-cluster services on the node:
systemctl stop pve-cluster
systemctl stop corosync
Start the cluster filesystem again in local mode:
pmxcfs -l
Delete the corosync configuration files:
rm /etc/pve/corosync.conf
rm -r /etc/corosync/*
You can now start the filesystem again as normal service:
killall pmxcfs
systemctl start pve-cluster
The node is now separated from the cluster. You can deleted it from a remaining node of the cluster with:
pvecm delnode oldnode
If the command failed, because the remaining node in the cluster lost quorum when the now separate node exited, you may set the expected votes to 1 as a workaround:
pvecm expected 1

so am I on the right track to lose nothing?

This is my cluster:
root@srv-bhs7-01:~# pvecm status
Cluster information
-------------------
Name: mew-cluster
Config Version: 11
Transport: knet
Secure auth: on

Quorum information
------------------
Date: Wed Jul 28 13:04:49 2021
Quorum provider: corosync_votequorum
Nodes: 2
Node ID: 0x00000001
Ring ID: 1.3c90
Quorate: Yes

Votequorum information
----------------------
Expected votes: 3
Highest expected: 3
Total votes: 3
Quorum: 2
Flags: Quorate Qdevice

Membership information
----------------------
Nodeid Votes Qdevice Name
0x00000001 1 A,V,NMW 192.168.0.1 (local)
0x00000002 1 A,V,NMW 192.168.0.2
0x00000000 1 Qdevice

hi,

1 - All my vm's are moved on my nodeid 01 on the local storage of this node. Here is the only one proxmox server i want to keep at the end.
ok
2 - I have deleted all my network shared storages.
ok
3 - I still have to do the next steps and repeat delnode step for id#02 and Qdevice:
so am I on the right track to lose nothing?
yes it should be fine, if all VMs are moved to the first node and stored on local storage then you shouldn't lose anything.

if you want to make sure you can make a backup of /etc/pve in order to keep VM configurations

first remove the qdevice from the node [0] and then follow the steps you posted here from our wiki to remove the second node

[0]: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pvecm.html#_frequently_asked_questions

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!