Self sign certs got ERR_SSL_KEY_USAGE_INCOMPATIBLE

Aug 3, 2019
Hello, And:

I'm using lastest PVE cluster.

Then, I create my own Root-CA, Middle-CA, Server Cert.

After upload, Chrome show "ERR_SSL_KEY_USAGE_INCOMPATIBLE" and "thisisunsafe" not working. But with nginx, Chrome can accept the cert.

So as far as I know, Chrome is very picky with ssl cipher algorithm. What config PVE api-server using ? And how to change it or workaround to make chrome accept?

Edit:

The cert contains SAn section

Edit2:

Firefox can accept my selfsigned cert, Only Chrome deny it.

Attachment:

1: OpenSSL Req section

Code:
basicConstraints     = critical, CA:false
keyUsage             = critical, nonRepudiation, digitalSignature, keyEncipherment
extendedKeyUsage     = serverAuth
subjectAltName       = @alternate_names

2: Nginx config

Code:
    server {

server_name _;

listen 443 ssl default;

# If enable TLSv3, Chrome will show ERR_SSL_KEY_USAGE_INCOMPATIBLE

#        ssl_prefer_server_ciphers on;
        #        ssl_protocols TLSv1.2 TLSv1.3;
        #        ssl_ciphers HIGH:!aNULL:!MD5;

ssl_session_timeout 60m;
        ssl_session_cache shared:SSL:60m;

ssl_certificate "cert/chain.crt";
        ssl_certificate_key "cert/ssl.key";

location / {
            proxy_pass https://10.100.10.210:8006;
        }
    }

Last edited:
Do you use also the SAN extension? A few years back, this was introduced and I needed to add this extension in order to get it to work with Chrome:

Code:
... -reqexts SAN -extensions SAN -config <(cat openssl.cnf <(printf "[SAN]\nsubjectAltName=DNS:$NAME"))

Do you use also the SAN extension? A few years back, this was introduced and I needed to add this extension in order to get it to work with Chrome:

Code:
... -reqexts SAN -extensions SAN -config <(cat openssl.cnf <(printf "[SAN]\nsubjectAltName=DNS:$NAME"))
Yes, It has SAN section

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!