Seeking advice regarding various aspects of storage within a NAS and in Proxmox

PyraChase

Aug 22, 2024
I’m looking for some general advice regarding storage in the setup I am making - if you can give any advice on any part of this, I would love to hear it!

I am setting up a small home server/minilab, primarily using a Lenovo ThinkCentre M720Q with an i5-8500T and 16GB of RAM (which I will upgrade if needed/wanted later), and supplemented by some Pis that can run independently for some redundancy on important services like Pi-hole & Unbound, for simple always-on tasks, and for location-specific implementations (e.g. one connected to a servo motor).

I am new to Proxmox, and am running it on the M720Q, within which I intend to run (amongst other things) Jellyfin, a NAS solution such as TrueNAS/OMV - I have yet to choose (please feel free to make suggestions based on the rest of the post), and Home Assistant.

I have Proxmox installed on a 256GB SATA SSD and I intend to add a 2TB NVMe SSD for running the VMs/containers. I also have a healthy but not new 5TB external (USB) HDD that I can devote to it. I am looking for advice about a few main things, both to do with storage media:
  1. For running a NAS, for now I intend to use my 5TB USB HDD, but I intend to eventually get some high-capacity 3.5in HDDs and a multi-drive enclosure for them. I have a good idea of what drives to get, but am less informed about the enclosures. What should I look for, and are there any specific models/brands you would suggest when on a budget? I understand that USB-connected enclosures are not ideal - what other options would work well here?
  2. How useful would it be in the long run to spend the extra money for a dedicated NAS enclosure or otherwise to offload the data processing, compared to running the NAS within Proxmox with the drives in a basic enclosure as I currently intend?
  3. Regarding Proxmox storage architecture, what best-practices should I follow, and what should I know specifically regarding managing data storage for Jellyfin and for NAS solutions (if I’m correct, the storage I dedicate to the NAS should be passed through directly to the NAS container)? I’m aware it’s a good idea to run Proxmox itself on two SSDs in parity, though I don’t think that’s easily doable at the moment.
Please feel free to add any other suggestions too!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!