[SOLVED] Secondary IP unreachable

Stefix99

Aug 19, 2024
Hi, everyone
Newbie here, trying proxmox on a mini pc with 6x i226.
I created a vm with opnsense and configured pcie passthrough for the first five ethernet ports.
Everything works and proxmox web gui is reachable (through opnsense bridge of vmbr0).
Now I wanted to keep the last ethernet port for "management", so I can connect directly in case I screw up something.
I tried to give an IP to the network device but the port doesn't turn on when connected (with the same cable).
If i force it by checking the autostart flag, it turns on the leds but I can't ping, ssh or navigate to the web gui using the other ip.
What am I doing wrong?
Some screenshots (with autostart disabled):
Screenshot 2024-08-22 220640.png
Screenshot 2024-08-22 221309.png

Last edited:
And you are trying to reach it from an laptop/pc configured in the 192.168.0.X/24 range (so not from an other IP that you want to translate between the two), possibly even wired directly into the enp7s0 (so no switch or anything in-between)?
Alternatively from proxmox, can you ping out to something else in the 192.168.0.X/24 range? And if so, if you traceroute this same IP, does it "go out" through the correct IP-range

Hi @sw-omit, thank you for your response
Yes, yesterday I tried with a direct ethernet cable in enp7s0, pc (win11) configured with static IP 192.168.0.100/24.
For some reason today it works, I didn't change anything proxmox side. Maybe I made an error with the static IP.
The only thing different I did today was disconnecting from wifi, but it's in another ip range so it shouldn't have made a difference? (And now it works even when connected)
Also, if I understand correctly, when a network device doesn't have autostart and isn't inside a bridge, it won't turn on after a reboot even if a cable is plugged in. So I kept autostart enabled in enp7s0.

Last edited:
I believe so too, yeah, something needs to "trigger" the starting / applying of the settings, unlike "user" systems, there is nothing built-in that does that automatically I believe, and even if it should do something, having a failsafe of always forcing it to come up on my backup method, does help me sleep better at night ;)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!