Second Raid1 problem

krystianen

Jun 6, 2021
Hi,
I have server with software raid controller.

4 drives

1623013865031.png
sda and sdb work as mirror raid.

I want to add new new raid1 (mirror) to my server.

I have made some wrong config in zpool and now i cant delete raidz1

1623014095224.png
I want to create new pool with sdc sdd working as mirror.

Dont use any kind of raid controller (software or hardware) with ZFS. This might corrupt your data because ZFS don't get direct access to the drives.

BTW: raidz1 is the equivalent to raid5 and not to raid1. Raid1 is called a mirror.

Last edited:
wow interesting mistake.

Code:
zpool remove -f rpool raidz1-1

if it doesn't work you need to reinstall.

wait for it to complete with
Code:
watch zpool status rpool

state must be ONLINE for the whole pool (not REMOVING)

then create the stripped mirror with
Code:
zpool add rpool mirror /dev/sdc /dev/sdd

Dont use any kind of raid controller (software or hardware) with ZFS. This might corrupt your data because ZFS don't get direct access to the drives.

BTW: raidz1 is the equivalent to raid5 and not to raid1. Raid1 is called a mirror.
So what should i use for RAID1-mirror, if ZFS is not recommend?

Last edited:
If you got a raid controller use that to create your raid1 or raid10 array so that these drives are presented to Proxmox as a single drive. Then you could run LVM thin ontop of that.

If you got a raid controller use that to create your raid1 or raid10 array so that these drives are presented to Proxmox as a single drive. Then you could run LVM thin ontop of that.
I have hpe dl20 gen10 server with S100i controler and i made raid for drives in iLO.
During Proxmox installation i had to use ZFS for SSD drives.
should i use for my second raid1 ZFS or LVM? but i heard about problems with LVM and snapshots

I have hpe dl20 gen10 server with S100i controler and i made raid for drives in iLO.
During Proxmox installation i had to use ZFS for SSD drives.
should i use for my second raid1 ZFS or LVM? but i heard about problems with LVM and snapshots
Look here why not to use ZFS with raid controllers. Should be the same for a software raid controller. So if ZFS isn'T an option you only got LVM.

And the installer isn't forcing you to use ZFS with SSDs. You are just forced to use ZFS if you want to create a software raid using ZFS. But if you got a software raid controller you should create the raid array before the proxmox installation so you can use that raid controllers raid1 array as a single disk while installing Proxmox. That way using LVM is working just fine.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!