Second install of proxmox on same hardware network is now only speed 3mbps - fixed

jwclinton

Aug 10, 2021
So, weird problem.
I installed proxmox and experimented and was very impressed.
I decided to start from scratch to build my lab "knowing what I know now".
I reinstalled to the same machine following the same process.
So this is a completely fresh install, I'm in the first 10 commands issued and I have not even created a VM yet.
The machine is an alienware r7 with 32GB memory with 2x512GB SSDs in raid-0 ZFS for the main install partition.

When I got to root login and did an at update the process seemed to take much longer than before.

Checked speedtest and am getting 3mbps back from a local speedtest host.
Checking the same test on another machine connected to the same switch I get 98mbps.
(on a wireless laptop I'm getting 87mbps).

Since this was not a problem in the first install on this exact same machine, and is now I'm pretty sure this is a config problem on the machine.

I did notice that when I installed the original ip address 'offered' in the installer was 192.168.100.21 which is not inside my network, I corrected this to the correct 192.168.3.* subnet. Fixed the gateway and dns as well. (I actually went with this set of values once, and resulted in no network access at all!)
I definitely did not have this issue when I installed the first time. It picked up the correct 192.168.3. and I selected my desired final #.

====
So as I investigated things as I wrote this I realized that I did the installation with the router redirecting DNS to a local pihole/unbound server.
I'd installed this after my original proxmox install and before the second.
I reset the router DNS config to point to google and reinstalled proxmox...
The ip address picked up by the install was now correct and the resulting system has no issue with ethernet speed.
Lesson learned.
Hopefully this helps someone else and saves them some time.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!