Search for backup containing comment

harmonyp

Nov 26, 2020
When a VM is backed up in PBS it's given a comment for the machine hostname.

How can I search through all backups filtering certain hostnames. I have a backup but I do not know the VMID.

Not able to find where this data is stored.

When a VM is backed up in PBS it's given a comment for the machine hostname.

How can I search through all backups filtering certain hostnames. I have a backup but I do not know the VMID.

Not able to find where this data is stored.
Hi,
the comment is part of the backups snapshot manifest and contained in the response when listing snapshots, e.g. by
Code:
proxmox-backup-client snapshot list --output-format json
(you can also use json-pretty if you want a human readable output)
or via the corresponding api endpoint [0]. So you could create a small script filtering out snapshots using this.

The comment you will also see in the WebUI when listing snapshots of a datastore, so that might help to find the snapshot you are looking for as well, if you have access to the WebUI.

[0] https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/api-viewer/index.html#/admin/datastore/{store}/snapshots

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!