SDN in cluster help

cameronb1233

Jun 25, 2024
Context: I have 3 servers,
2x dell poweredge each with 4x 1gbs cards
1x workstation with 2x 10gbs cards
I also have a 48 port switch (1gbs)

I need to get vms to be able to talk to vms on a different server. (yes they are clustered)(yes i downloaded all the SDN things)(yes MTU is 1450).
This is the start of creating a, "cyber range". Im going to have emulated users doing malicious activity so I can host blue teaming excersices and eventually red teaming as well. I intend to have people plug into the switch and rdp into a box to do this training.

Ive tried simple sdn but the vms wont talk to eachother (ping). I read that for simple sdn, it only allows vms on one node to communicate.
I need help with the process of choosing which SDN option (simple, VLAN, VXLAN, etc...) I also need help with the configuration of this. I cant seem to get it to work.

1721078519861.png

This is what the network information looks like for PC1 and PC2.
PC2 = (192.168.1.75), PC3 = (192.168.1.76)

I have recently used link aggrogation to use all of my network slots to help with speeds and also ceph. For this instance, I freshly wiped all of the servers and am only using one ethernet port on each machine until i solve this isssue.

When I create a VXLAN, i set the dhcp to be 10.10.1.1/24 but it keeps assigning me to 169.254.0.0/16
Also checking IPAM, nothing is updated.
When doing the simple SDN, i didnt have this problem, the DHCP worked and the IPAM updated. I just couldnt ping the other machines.

Last edited:
From what i can tell your setup is incomplete:
Screenshot_20240716_080743.png

Did you already click on "Apply" at Datacenter -> SDN?
Afterwards you have to add the network device at your guests configuration at "Hardware"

When doing the simple SDN, i didnt have this problem, the DHCP worked and the IPAM updated. I just couldnt ping the other machines.
DHCP currently only works for Simple Zones.

When I create a VXLAN, i set the dhcp to be 10.10.1.1/24 but it keeps assigning me to 169.254.0.0/16
Most likely because DHCP is not working, 169.254.x.x are link-local addresses that machines automatically assign themselves if they cant get an IP.

I need help with the process of choosing which SDN option (simple, VLAN, VXLAN, etc...)
VXLAN is the right choice if you want to have a bridge that works across multiple nodes.

Reactions: iprigger

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!