SDN creating a vlan vnet with id 1 causes network fail

bmguyii

Jun 9, 2024
I added an SDN zone for vlan -> vmbr0 (vlan aware), then added vnets with id of 100, 1000 (matching the vlans in my physical system) and things work with vm's getting DHCP addresses, etc.

However, adding a vlan with id=1 causes the network to fail and loss of management access/etc.
only the first node getting the SDN update is lost as the other nodes show SDN "pending" since (I believe) there is never a conclusion to the SDN apply for that node.

I have side access through an frr ip6 link from an unimpacted node and can ssh to the lost node.
ip a shows the link is up, but it can only ping itself successfully.
e.g., (it's ip4 addr is 192.168.0.81)
ping 192.168.0.81 works, but pinging the gateway, or its sibling nodes .1, .82, .83 all fail.

The only way back is the edit /etc/network/interfaces and comment out the source /etc/network/interfaces.d/* line and reboot or restart network services.
Then clean up things to remove the vlan vnet with id=1.

The goal was to create an SDN named virtual switch that simply connected to vmbr0 (analogous to a port group in ESXI). This would allow vlan control of a group of VMs without having to manually go into each and set a vlan id.

I know I can just connect a vm to vmbr0 - that is not the point.
The issue is , ID = 1 apparently is a valid input in the interface, and it borks the network interface.

I will note that by default vmbr0 being vlan aware does have: bridge-vids 2-4094
Changing the 2 to a 1 does not appear to be a valid option.

From an SDN standpoint, the currently name VLAN zone should really be a "Vswitch" with the ability to be tagged or not.
I understand nomenclature shifting is probably not realistic, but I still would like the ability to setup a virtual switch or switches to abstract out vm connectivity or grouping. (for that matter, it would be useful to have the ability to enable/disable vnets much like one could on the managed physical nets)

From an SDN standpoint, the currently name VLAN zone should really be a "Vswitch" with the ability to be tagged or not.
I understand nomenclature shifting is probably not realistic, but I still would like the ability to setup a virtual switch or switches to abstract out vm connectivity or grouping. (for that matter, it would be useful to have the ability to enable/disable vnets much like one could on the managed physical nets)
I would also like to see the ability to use both tagged and untagged VLANs with the SDN as well as the expansion of the DHCP system not just simple networks.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!