SCSI boot issues

vkimball

Oct 2, 2011
I'm trying to boot a KVM VM with Promox 2.1 that was restored from a Proxmox 1.9 installation. I've used the LSI rom workaround but I still get an error:

could not find /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-0QEMU_QEMU_HARDDISK_scsi0-hd0-part1

Any ideas as to what I can do to troubleshoot further? The wiki page says that KVM 1.2rc2 doesn't require the workaround. Is that available in Proxmox now?

kvm 1.2 is available is pvetest repository, and indeed it boot scsi devices fine without lsi rom.

but maybe your problem is that disk id have change between the old qemu from proxmox 1.9 and new qemu from proxmox 2.1.

can you try to replace /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-0QEMU_QEMU_HARDDISK_scsi0-hd0-part1 by /dev/sda1 ?

Haven't been able to get the grub menu to come up. I get to an OpenSuse boot menu instead.

I think I found it. Looks like changing the disk parameter to be /dev/sda1 might have worked.

Thanks for the help!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!