[SOLVED] Scores for RCVD_IN_PBL and HTML_SINGLET_MANY

Dec 27, 2020
I have started to migrate our outbound emails to go through PMG - however I have also started to notice emails sent from users being blocked (yes I have added additional checks not standard to PMG):

Code:
Spam detection results:  5
AWL                    -0.745 Adjusted score from AWL reputation of From: address
BAYES_00                 -1.9 Bayes spam probability is 0 to 1%
DC_GIF_UNO_LARGO            1 Message contains a single large gif image
HELO_NO_DOMAIN          0.001 Relay reports its domain incorrectly
HTML_MESSAGE            0.001 HTML included in message
HTML_SINGLET_MANY       2.499 Many single-letter HTML format blocks
KAM_DMARC_STATUS         0.01 Test Rule for DKIM or SPF Failure with Strict Alignment
KAM_LOTSOFHASH           0.25 Emails with lots of hash-like gibberish
LOTS_OF_MONEY           0.001 Huge... sums of money
RCVD_IN_PBL             3.335 Received via a relay in Spamhaus PBL
RDNS_NONE               0.793 Delivered to internal network by a host with no rDNS
SHORT_HELO_AND_INLINE_IMAGE    0.1 Short HELO string, with inline image

RCVD_IN_PBL
This appears to only hit on outgoing emails and I have simply down-scored to 0.01 via Custom Score - has anyone have any experience for another better method? Or how it integrates with X-Originating-IP?

HTML_SINGLET_MANY
Does anyone have any material information about this? It seems to hit legitimate emails both inbound and outbound. I found this article https://www.futurequest.net/docs/SA/ which states: Many single-letter HTML format blocks

This does not seem a problem given the number of html emails being sent these days as those 'hits' are sent from Google and Outlook.com.

Thanks for any replies.

Last edited:
HTML_SINGLET_MANY
Does anyone have any material information about this? It seems to hit legitimate emails both inbound and outbound. I found this article https://www.futurequest.net/docs/SA/ which states: Many single-letter HTML format blocks
nothing more than what the docs say - it matches e-mails which have more than 20 single letter html format blocks `<b>`, `<i>` and so on

fwiw - a system I have access to receiving 200k mails / month did not have a single match on that rule in the past month.

RCVD_IN_PBL
This appears to only hit on outgoing emails and I have simply down-scored to 0.01 via Custom Score - has anyone have any experience for another better method? Or how it integrates with X-Originating-IP?
see - https://bz.apache.org/SpamAssassin/show_bug.cgi?id=6501
short answer - as long as this header is added SA treats it as source for matching against PBL (which might not be what you want)
-> configure your downstream mailserver not to add that header.

I hope this helps!

EDIT: if it fits in your setup - you can of course also disable these rules by assigning a custom score of 0 to them (GUI->Configuration->Spam Detector->Custom Scores)

Last edited:
fwiw - a system I have access to receiving 200k mails / month did not have a single match on that rule in the past month.
Yes you are correct, its from one of the additional checks that I have implemented and I do not know which. I thought that would be correct and hence I had reduced its score to 0.

see - https://bz.apache.org/SpamAssassin/show_bug.cgi?id=6501
short answer - as long as this header is added SA treats it as source for matching against PBL (which might not be what you want)
-> configure your downstream mailserver not to add that header
Thanks mate - this is exactly what I have done as it didnt seem to be needed and an easier fix.

Reactions: Stoiko Ivanov

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!