schlechte Performance mit Spice

tweak

Dec 27, 2019
Hallo,
ich versuche gerade von einem Raspberry Pi 4 mit installiertem virt-viewer eine Verbindunge zu einem Server2019 zu realisieren.
Habe entsprechend dem Wiki alles installiert, aber die Performance ist wirklich sehr sehr schlecht.

Der Host ist CPU mäßig im Leerlauf und die VM auch. Und der RPi langweilt sich ebenfalls.
Anschließend mal kurz mit RPD probiert und das ist um einiges besser, dabei heißt es doch Spice soll zwecks Video etc. wesentlich performanter sein?

Wo liegt hier der Fehler?

Code:
audio0: device=ich9-intel-hda,driver=spice
bios: ovmf
bootdisk: virtio0
cores: 4
cpu: host
efidisk0: local-zfs:vm-101-disk-1,size=1M
ide2: local:iso/virtio-win-0.1.171.iso,media=cdrom,size=363020K
machine: q35
memory: 8192
name: JH01
net0: virtio=16:98:C1:EB:F7:E2,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
ostype: win10
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=0d8e6084-c14f-48d4-9e7e-0355daa19172
sockets: 1
usb0: spice,usb3=1
vga: qxl2,memory=52
virtio0: local-zfs:vm-101-disk-0,size=100G
vmgenid: 1237f997-d537-4e3e-a040-688172ffc860

Danke
mfg

I haven't tried with Windows, but Linux as a server to Linux client was so well that I can host my old Windows games on Linux with wine on the Internet and I am able to play via SPICE including audio at home. So in (my) practise, it is fast.

Your configuration looks fine to me.

I tried it with youtube, but the video stucks really often and the sound got a delay about 5-6 sec.
Any ideas whats wrong there?
Is it a problem from windows server 2019 ?

Why don't you just watch on your pi?

The video is downloaded from the internet, decoded to be displayed, reencoded to transport, send over the network (hopefully not wifi), received and decoded to display. A lot of work just to watch something.

The test with the youtube video is just a benchmark for me, how it works.
Later virt-viewer (rpi) will act as thinclient for office, pdfs and so on...

I considered to use spice, because i heard it performs mutch better than rpd. But currently it doesn't look so.

Soweit ich weiß, gibt es beim PI4 noch Schwierigkeiten beim Grafikmodul.
Evtl. liegt's daran?
Grundsätzlich läuft Spice auf Intel-kompatibler Hardware sehr gut.

I tried it with youtube, but the video stucks really often and the sound got a delay about 5-6 sec.
Any ideas whats wrong there?
Is it a problem from windows server 2019 ?
Schau dir in den Optionen der VM die Spice Enhancements an. Vor allem die Video-Streaming Optionen. Diese können evtl. helfen das es besser wird. Direkt wie auf dem gleichen Gerät wird es nicht sein, aber es kann dem sehr nahe kommen.

Das klingt für mich als würde versucht eine Grafikbeschleunigung des PI treibers Zu nutzen, die noch nicht richtig funktioniert.
Kannst du Mal testweise einen anderen Client nehmen?

Reactions: fireon
I have the same problem. Spice is not usable as it is far too slow, slower than Xterm. I use it from Ubuntu Laptop (Thinkpad) to proxmox Ubuntu (guest). Both, proxmox server and Laptop are very fast. I do not use videos, I only need it to connect to the proxmox guest GUI. But even the mouse moves very slow.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!