sata drive passthrough

Aleksej

Feb 25, 2018
Hi all.

I read a lot, but cannot find any information about how to passthrough a physical drive to vm.
Actually i need this to update firmware on it (crucial mx500).
passing /dev/disk/by-id (or by-path) shows in VM as qemu scsi harddisk or qemu harddisk (with sata not scsi).

but i need to see in vm it as physical drive like on host. is it really to do?

for linux there is no ability to make full trim and update firmware on crucial mx500 drives.
host is in other country now, so i cannot reach it to detach disk and make things with notebook.

Code:
blkdiscard -s /dev/sda
returns
Code:
blkdiscard: /dev/sde: BLKSECDISCARD ioctl failed: Operation not supported
so i have to zeroout it, but as i read blkdiscard -z is not actually the same as trim.

thank you a lot.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I read a lot, but cannot find any information about how to passthrough a physical drive to vm.
Actually i need this to update firmware on it (crucial mx500).
Either do it on bare metal or passthrough the whole SATA controller. Disk passthroug won't work as you already found out.
Best to do bare metal. Does the firmware update come with a bootable image or does it need Windows? Maybe put the drive in a Windows machine if that's the case.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!