Samba Share w/ ZFS Bind Mount

mikrotik

Oct 11, 2024
Greetings all!

After quite a bit of lurking and some basic knowledge of linux systems, I've taken it upon myself to install PVE. Currently setup with a few LXCs for development, file sharing, as well as a VM for some light gaming w/ passthrough. I'm at the point where I'd like to set up my ZFS mirror drives setup through PVE for samba shares. Initially I started doing this by installing openmediavault in a container, but had issues adding the directory as a share.

I then tried using cockpit to set up a samba share with the ZFS data set bind mounted in the LXC config file as the following:
Code:
mp0: /tank/nas/,mp=/mnt/nas

User permissions for user/group were setup as
Code:
nas:nas_shares
The following on the host /etc/passwd:
Code:
nas:x:101000:110000::/home/nas:/bin/bash
and accordingly for the user on the LXC /etc/passwd:
Code:
nas:x:1000:10000::/home/nas:/bin/bash

The problem currently is that I'm able to connect to the samba share through windows 11 using the samba password i set through cockpit, but unable to create directories through windows due to permissions. I have verified the permissions of the host and container directories and nas is the verified owner with r/w/x. What am I missing here?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!