running windows quests supported

ioo

Renowned Member
Oct 1, 2011
Hi!

So far i have used and i am using Proxmox for Linux quests and it is good, thanks for the good job! Until now i haven't had much need to run Windows guests, though i have some random experiences and they worked too. And it seems i need to run more windows (especially Windows7, Windows Server 2008 and possibly Windows Server 2012 sometimes in the future) so I would like to ask two things

1. are Windows guests supported from Proxmox Server Solutions GmbH's point of view or it is more like best effort to get them running (and if needed assuming that i have valid Proxmox subscription)
2. is Microsoft support accepting Proxmox as supported platform for running their operating systems (and say for running active directory and file server applications)

I am afraid that although they techinally work beautifully but one day there would be a need to ask Microsoft support something pertaining to the say Active Directory clustering and then they ask to gather some information with some tool about computers in question and they find out i run them in Proxmox and they refuse support because of that.

I still think both my questions can be answered affirmatively and i guess that running Proxmox on Redhat kernel is part of that. I found that Microsoft considers RedHat supported platform for running several of Microsoft's operating systems (and these links go about KVM (maybe also somehow for Xen))

https://www.redhat.com/promo/svvp/
https://access.redhat.com/documenta...rted_Virtual_Machine_Operating_Systems_1.html

I would be very thankful if someone could comment on that.

Best regards,

Imre

Last edited:
Hi!

So far i have used and i am using Proxmox for Linux quests and it is good, thanks for the good job! Until now i haven't had much need to run Windows guests, though i have some random experiences and they worked too. And it seems i need to run more windows (especially Windows7, Windows Server 2008 and possibly Windows Server 2012 sometimes in the future) so I would like to ask two things

1. are Windows guests supported from Proxmox Server Solutions GmbH's point of view or it is more like best effort to get them running (and if needed assuming that i have valid Proxmox subscription)
2. is Microsoft support accepting Proxmox as supported platform for running their operating systems (and say for running active directory and file server applications)

I am afraid that although they techinally work beautifully but one day there would be a need to ask Microsoft support something pertaining to the say Active Directory clustering and then they ask to gather some information with some tool about computers in question and they find out i run them in Proxmox and they refuse support because of that.

I still think both my questions can be answered affirmatively and i guess that running Proxmox on Redhat kernel is part of that. I found that Microsoft considers RedHat supported platform for running several of Microsoft's operating systems (and these links go about KVM (maybe also somehow for Xen))

https://www.redhat.com/promo/svvp/
https://access.redhat.com/documenta...rted_Virtual_Machine_Operating_Systems_1.html

I would be very thankful if someone could comment on that.

Best regards,

Imre

1. Windows guests are supported, yes. I've installed every Windows OS from 98 up to 2k12R2 successfully. The secret is to use the VirtIO drivers, available from Redhat, for best performance.

2. I can't answer on the Microsoft question, since honestly, I've never had to contact MS support. I'd suggest looking into 3rd parties, as MS will just attempt to push you towards Hyper-V.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!