Running VM to learn Canonical LXD - connectivity

vmlearner

Sep 9, 2024
Hello,

I'm not a professional network admin, or sysadmin, I'm just a person who likes to run software... some of it I actually use of course.

For a couple of years I've been running Raspberry Pis to do a couple of things for me (vpn, pihole), I then started to get into Docker and I now run a couple of services for myself (immich, paperless-ngx, home assistant).

I'd like to move this over to hosting all of this in Proxmox and in the process learn a bit more about systems. I also stumbled over Canonical LXD and I wanted to start learning to use that.

In order to learn that I've setup a VM in Proxmox and installed LXD on that. I can create and start instances - but I cannot access those instances from the local LAN. They get IP addresses from the VM.

I have read and read and tried with running an additional VM with pfsense in order to do that, no luck... I think I have a mental block here somewhere that I can't seem to overcome.

How will the containers running in the VM get an IP address from my local LAN router so they are accessible from my network?

The network layout would be:

router
- my regular (hardware) computers (IPs from the router)
- proxmox box (IP from the router - this works)
- - Containers in proxmox (IP from the router - this works)
- - Virtual Machine (Debian with Canonical LXD) (IP from the router - this works)
- - - - container 1 (it's own IP on the local LAN - this doesn't work)
- - - - container 2 (it's own IP on the local LAN - this doesn't work)

Bit lengthy post... :/

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!