Running proxmox "like this" - pest way to set up a secure network?

proxee11

Mar 31, 2021
I plan to run pormox on same computer with GUI. I have pfsense box separate. I will run guests for testing, opening maybe unsafe emails, browsing with privacy, run website, have mail server, note server, maybe more stuff that access from outside WAN.

I need good security against hacker and cyber attack. I will have same computer but different guest for my financial data and other important thing. What is best way tio secure my network? Here is what I think.

Have proxmox offline completely just with wire in computer. Run guest with data I can use offline with no network access except NAS VLAN. Run guest who need internet only WAN VLAN. Set up whatever extra security I find for pfsense, I am only now moving all to my home box so I start secure it only now. Any tip advice or link is very welcome for this task.

I think this way all is isolated from all. We have host isolated from LAN and WAN, we have guest offline isolated from WAN and we have internet guest isolated from LAN. So if hacker hack website or mail or testing guest I delete and restore he have no access to anything else but what I have there.

What you think? Advice welcome. I am learning only now networking and security. Before I use only server rent but am quick study and very eager to learn. Not good reading long text hard to understand but good watching and trying so advanced stuff good with me.

I don't think that Proxmox is what you're looking for ...
Did you have a look at Qubes OS? That might be more like what you describe.

I don't think that Proxmox is what you're looking for ...
Did you have a look at Qubes OS? That might be more like what you describe.
Yes but I want persistence in some guests not delete them all the time. Running a server needs it. What makes you say proxmox is not what I am looking for?

You want guests for texting, browsing, banking, etc. That is possible but not very user friendly with Proxmox.
Qubes OS is persistent, by the way. It integrates virtual machines in a single user desktop.

You want guests for texting, browsing, banking, etc. That is possible but not very user friendly with Proxmox.
Qubes OS is persistent, by the way. It integrates virtual machines in a single user desktop.
I too want guests for running server and PCI passthrough. I am good with proxmox interface for user friendliness I am only concerned about secure, I do not know if it is secure.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!