Running out of storage

jeffeb3

Oct 26, 2024
I'm doing something silly, and I can't figure out what.

I have two physical drives. One is 256GB, one 2TB. I have these machines currently installed:
- The Proxmox VE 8.2.7 host OS
- An Ubuntu 24.04 server VM that basically runs docker and portainer.
- A Home Assistant OS VM that also has a few docker containers running (they call them add-ons).

My intention was to keep data files, media, and backups on the 2TB drive. I am trying to keep the OS and docker containers on the 256GB drive.

Screenshot from 2024-10-25 16-10-41.png

In this view, the 256GB drive says it is nearly full.

I've allocated 80GB for Ubuntu and 64GB for Home Assistant. If I run `df` in the edesk shell, it looks like it thinks it has 55GB in `/` and is using less than 10GB:

Screenshot from 2024-10-25 16-12-53.png

There is only one backup, that is 3.5GB.

80+64+55+3.5 = 202.5GB. Where is the other 50GB? I thought the VM disks were "thin" and they shouldn't even be using the 80/64 until they allocate it. So it seems like I am missing even more than 50GB.

The better question might be, how should I be doing this inspection and storage management? I have been using Linux for a long time, but this is my first experience with proxmox. Thanks in advance.

Take a look into the output of cmd's lsblk, lvs and lvdisplay to understand how much space you used. The lvm "vol" seen in your first picture just show you that the disk is assigned to volume usage but not if it's indeed full (think about that as just a further partioning).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!