Running OSX, Windows 10, and Fedora on Lenovo Thinkpad - each with its own Desktop on the same notebook - looking for "How-to"

Bart-Smith

Dec 17, 2022
I am new to Proxmox but have some limited experience running Virtual Box.

My goal is to run OSX (High Sierra - required for a specific software), Fedora Desktop 37 (my daily driver), and Windows 10 -- all on the same Lenovo Thinkpad, including their respective desktop GUIs. I travel a lot and want to be able to have all this on only one machine.

VirtualBox was simply too slow.

My Thinkpad is a P1 Gen2 running a 12 core xeon processor, 64G ECC RAM, with 6 TB of SSD installed. It also has an NVidia Quadro T2000 GPU

I love the idea of having everything running as close to bare metal as possible, but having spent a few hours on Proxmox don't yet understand how to get any of the desktops running on the native display - it seems everything only works via a web browser (not ideal for my use case).

I have not found a guide to direct me through the process of getting this working and would very much appreciate any guidance toward getting this running. So far the best I've found is a couple of Youtube videos making claims of "a new way to build a hackintosh" and some vague references to running Windows (with local video) on Proxmox.

Very much hoping some kind soul can send me a guide for getting this working.

Thank you.

The nearest approach to reach your goals is probably: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Developer_Workstations_with_Proxmox_VE_and_X11

I've tested a similar setup using Spice and put some VMs on seperate "Desktops" in fullscreen mode (in Sway on Wayland), reachable by a single "meta-1/2/3" keystroke. It works. But I am not really using it - for unrelated reasons.

Edit: Oh, and I did NOT use OSX or other strange Operating Systems...

Good luck.

Last edited:
My Thinkpad is a P1 Gen2 running a 12 core xeon processor, 64G ECC RAM, with 6 TB of SSD installed. It also has an NVidia Quadro T2000 GPU

I love the idea of having everything running as close to bare metal as possible, but having spent a few hours on Proxmox don't yet understand how to get any of the desktops running on the native display - it seems everything only works via a web browser (not ideal for my use case).

I have not found a guide to direct me through the process of getting this working and would very much appreciate any guidance toward getting this running. So far the best I've found is a couple of Youtube videos making claims of "a new way to build a hackintosh" and some vague references to running Windows (with local video) on Proxmox.
You are limited to remote desktop software. To show the native GPU output on your display you would need 3 or 4 GPUs and a KVM-Switch between the GPUs and the display, which isn't possible without a big workstation/server.

Big thanks for this, but this appears to be for adding a desktop to Proxmox, which is OK for maintenance of Proxmox, but adding a desktop to Proxmox will not meet my requirements - especially the software I need to run in OSX.

It was relatively easy to do this in Virtualbox, (Level 2 hypervisor), but too slow for a daily. I would have thought my use case would be quite common and that with only a 1-3% performance hit (Level 1) Proxmox would be ideal for this.

Really hoping someone has done this and is willing to share what worked...

Again, I very much appreciate the time taken to reply (to my noob question).

You are limited to remote desktop software. To show the native GPU output on your display you would need 3 or 4 GPUs and a KVM-Switch between the GPUs and the display, which isn't possible without a big workstation/server.
Big thanks - good to know that Proxmox won't work for my use case. You have saved me much time and grief.

I've heard that a YouTuber make a way to get video of her GPU Card for each VM.
Example: 1 output for windows an 1 output for macOS.
Also I've heard about virtual GPU, in order to split your GPU for multiple Vm's.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!