Run replication manually

exp

Jul 20, 2023
I have two nodes, PVE1 and PVE2.

PVE2 runs all my VMs/CTs under normal conditions and runs 24x7.

PVE1 is a smaller backup which Id like to use if VPE2 fails or if there are any hardware or software maintenance I’d like to do. In this case, I’m just pushing all VMs/CTs to PVE1 in the interim.

But it also means PVE1 is not used most of the time and hence turned off. I am using an existing RPi0 as a qdevice to keep the cluster working.

I also want to replicate everything to PVE1. First, to make the live migrations much faster. And second, if anything very bad happens with PVE2’s disks, PVE1 is a backup and can continue to run VMs/CTs from a recent state.

For this setup, I want to manually turn on PVE1 every day or so and manually initiate all replication. Once replication is finished, I want to initiate shutdown and power off PVE1 again.

How can i manually initiate all replication and make sure a full run is complete before powering off?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!