Rsync after restore between hosts

egrueda

Renowned Member
Nov 9, 2010
Madrid, Spain
Hi all.
I'm (still) migrating VMs from proxmox1 server to a new proxmox2 server
I've made a vzdump in old server, scp'ed to the new server and vzrestore'd it.
It's working perfectly (thanks, team!), so now let's tweak it :)

Every night, the old server generates a dump for each VM using the normal proxmox scheduled backup, so in the morning, I copy one of that dumps to the new server and restore it.
The problem is that the restored image is not as fresh as I would like, as VM keeps running in the old server after doing dump.

I'm looking for a quick migration procedure with small downtime (we all do) but moving dumps between datacenters is not as fast as it should, so I got an idea, and I'm not sure it it's a valid procedure:

1. (06:00 AM) make a dump in the old server
2. (08:00 AM) copy dump to the new server
3. (09:00 AM) restore dump in the new server
4. (10:00 AM) rsync private folder from old server to new server
5. (11:00 AM) start VM in the new server

Would it be safe running a rsync after restore so container in the new server grabs latest blog posts and emails from the old server before starting up?
Will rsync be able to copy running my databases too?
Anyone has done this way before?

Thanks all

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!