[SOLVED] Routing a vm traffic through an lxc?

anoo222

Feb 21, 2023
Hello,

I have an lxc container setup with a high gain wifi dongle, which connects to a hotspot here nearby with a random mac.
I've created a virtual ethernet device on that container 'eth0:1' with an ip 192.168.1.157, and forwarded all traffic coming in to eth0:1 to the wifi dongle (wlan0).

On another container i'm running kasm workspaces (containerized apps), which is normally routed through another wireguard container if i use a containerized browser or something). However, to use tor, i wanted an extra layer of privacy, since i don't trust my vpn 100%, and i don't want to route that containerized tor through my vpn or my own connection. So i created this container with the hotspot. If i set the gateway in my kasm container to 192.168.1.157, effectively my ip is the hotspot ip.

My question is regarding using this setup with a vm, i would like to route a vm (tails for example) through that lxc aswell, but i have no idea how to do that.
Would this even be possible? If so how?

Thanks

I guess you can set the VM's IP address to be on the same subnet as eth0:1 (e.g., 192.168.1.158), and point the gateway to the LXC's IP (192.168.1.157). Have you tried this?

Make sure that the VM and CT are on the same bridge, e.g., (vmbr0)

Reactions: anoo222
Lol i feel stupid now, i've tried this because it's the same method as my containers i forward through other containers.
I've initially tried it in a Kali VM, and it didn't work, and then posted here to ask how to do it.

After u told me again this is the way, i've tried it on Tails VM & Windows VM, working without a problem.
I tried it on the Kali VM again, but for some reason with the Kali VM it isn't working, they are on the same bridge.
I guess i have to investigate further into that kali VM what is actually the reason it isn't working.

Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!