Router/Firewall/Plex

McCordRM

Oct 9, 2024
I'm currently using AT&T U-Verse ( if that makes any difference ) for my Internet which means I have to use their modem. Thus, my setup would be:

Proxmox Device with at least 4 Ports.

Ports on Proxmox device
1. Internet Modem ( set as 192.168.1.1 and passthough mode )
2. Switch ( multiple ports for hardline connections through out the house )
3. Wireless System ( All wireless devices handled by my Deco mesh setup. Currently using 192.168.3.1 range )
4. NAS ( currently have a Drobo housing all media, backups, etc. )

What device should I use for this? Or should I setup separate devices? I was thinking one device with Proxmox installed, and then Opnsense and Plex installed within Proxmox. If I go with one device, what would I need for number of CPU Cores, memory, etc.? Is one harddrive enough, or multiple harddrives? This device would not be storing ANY of the actual media ( videos, movies, ISO, etc.).

Thanks in advance. I've just been using my dated Netgear router and the Drobo without any extras. The Drobo can't even run Plex natively. This will be a huge upgrade for me. Oh, and the purpose of Plex is just to let me access my media when away from home. I use Kodi when I'm home.

Current setup
1. Internet Modem ( set as 192.168.1.1 and passthough mode ) to the Netgear Router which is 192.168.2.1 range for home network and NAS.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!