root partition in ro but vms still running

panucci_usr

Jun 7, 2018
This morning one of our nodes went into ro mode. However, all the vms are still running. Trying to run a backup obviously fails with
Code:
unable to create output file '/var/log/pve/tasks/2/UPID:sxxx:0000A2D6:26430FCEE:66BB79A2:vzdump:103:root@pam:' - Read-only file system
Rebooting might or might not bring the system back. All vms are still running and responding to ping correctly.

Is there a way of backing up the vms externally without having to create an output file?

Is there a way of backing up the vms externally without having to create an output file?
Manually copy all the VM's hard drives + each VM's .conf file to the external storage? I would probably shutdown those VMs before doing this.

If that external backup job/location is already setup within PVE - then possibly stopping rsyslog and journald, may help you to continue making a normal PVE backup.
If it is not already setup I doubt you'll manage to perform a standard PVE backup. But I'm only guessing.

Possibly if you could discover why your root FS has gone RO, you maybe able to fix it & be good to go. For instance maybe it is just filled up (e.g.. some mountpoint failed & something large got saved locally within the root).

Another thing I would run on the host pve-root is fsck to check for errors. Have you checked physical disk with smartctl?

Good luck.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!