RocketRaid 3120 on Proxmox 2.1

Bernardo

May 22, 2012
I find I am not able to do a fresh install of Proxmox 2.1 on a server that uses a Highmark RocketRaid 3120. This is a hardware raid card that worked fine with Proxmox 1.x The installer appears to recognize the card. It shows a single disk, which is the the expect behavior since the RAID card is mirroring two drives. After entering all the details, ending with the IP information, the installer shows an error message saying that partitioning failed. Going to the terminal screen, it says something like "invalid volume label". If nobody has any quick answers, I can run the setup again and get the exact message.

The hardware itself is apparently working, as I can do a clean install of Ubuntu on it without incident.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I find I am not able to do a fresh install of Proxmox 2.1 on a server that uses a Highmark RocketRaid 2.1. This is a hardware raid card that worked fine with Proxmox 1.x The installer appears to recognize the card. It shows a single disk, which is the the expect behavior since the RAID card is mirroring two drives. After entering all the details, ending with the IP information, the installer shows an error message saying that partitioning failed. Going to the terminal screen, it says something like "invalid volume label". If nobody has any quick answers, I can run the setup again and get the exact message.

The hardware itself is apparently working, as I can do a clean install of Ubuntu on it without incident.

Any suggestions?

Maybe old LVM info laying around on the drive? Boot to a live ubuntu cd and have a look at it.

Maybe old LVM info laying around on the drive? Boot to a live ubuntu cd and have a look at it.

Thanks for the reply. Actually, it occurred to me that the drives I was using may have some info on them that was messing up the installer. So just to be sure, I pulled two brand spankin' new drives out of the package and tried them. Same result. Still doesn't want to partition them.

Oh, and I also took one of the original drives I was trying to use and attached it directly to the motherboard. Doing it that way, proxmox installs without a hitch. So the problem only occurs with the RAID card attached.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!