Restoring Pbs-Vm image to ISO Image

Sep 20, 2022
As title i would like to export backups from pbs to ISO images so that the vm's i created can get installed on a physical device without the need of a proxmox enviroment, is there any direct way or i have to go through some convert process like this one ?
https://www.turnkeylinux.org/blog/convert-vm-iso
i have looked in many sites and many threads but seems like no one wants to go back from VM to Pshysical and i sadly have to do it following a customer request.
Sorry if it's the wrong section but i couldnt really find an appropriate one.

when restoring on the command line, you get .img files which are the raw disk images. these can be copied to any harddisk with tools like 'dd'

I always restore from remote pbs to my remote Pve using GUI, if i wanted to look for the .img files on either pbs or pve in what folder should i search? i've found some .img.fidx into pbs unde /home/proxmox/vm related to the vm's but cant seem to find any on pve, and yet, no having phisical acces to the machine i cannot simply plug a disk into it, no way i can download the .img straight from pbs to a workstation and work my way from there to export it into a fresh phys machine?

I always restore from remote pbs to my remote Pve using GUI, if i wanted to look for the .img files on either pbs or pve in what folder should i search? i've found some .img.fidx into pbs unde /home/proxmox/vm related to the vm's but cant seem to find any on pve, and yet, no having phisical acces to the machine i cannot simply plug a disk into it, no way i can download the .img straight from pbs to a workstation and work my way from there to export it into a fresh phys machine?
since the backups are not stored that way (they are chunked and deduplicated) there is no single file on the pbs for each img that you can use (the img.fidx is the index that references the chunks)
there are two possibilities to get the .img files:

1. use the webui (only for unencrypted backups)
you can download the .img file from the pbs webui (the server reassembles it on the fly)

2. use the proxmox-backup-client to restore the img files
on any machine that has access to the pbs over the network you can run
Code:
proxmox-backup-client restore <snapshot> <file> <target>
see https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/backup-client.html for more details

since the backups are not stored that way (they are chunked and deduplicated) there is no single file on the pbs for each img that you can use (the img.fidx is the index that references the chunks)
there are two possibilities to get the .img files:

you can download the .img file from the pbs webui (the server reassembles it on the fly)

2. use the proxmox-backup-client to restore the img files
on any machine that has access to the pbs over the network you can run
Code:
proxmox-backup-client restore <snapshot> <file> <target>
see https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/backup-client.html for more details

Hi,
in Backup Server 3.2-7
where is ..

regards

where is ..
in the content view of a datastore, there is a 'download' button on the img.fidx files

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!